Fall is here.
Well, kind of. Phoenix is still getting its fair share of midday heat but cooler mornings and nights (along with a weird onset of seasonal allergies) give me hope that we’re getting there, slowly. And what better way to ring in this glorious time of year than with a fall-inspired green smoothie?
- 1 1/2 ripe Bartlett pears, cored and cut in chunks
- 1/2 cup baby spinach, packed
- 1/4 cup yogurt of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 cup milk of choice
- Splash of raw honey or pure maple syrup (optional)
- Small scoop of ice (optional)
- Put all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend like madness!
- Drink and fall in love (see what I did there?).
- Pears – like apples, peaches and strawberries – are a member of the rose family. They are a very good source of dietary fiber which is known to support the digestive system and sustain blood sugar levels. Pears also offer high amounts of copper, vitamins C and K as well as several important antioxidants (which are concentrated in the fruit’s skin). Another benefit of pears? They are considered hypoallergenic, meaning those with food sensitivities can usually eat them without any adverse effects.
- For this recipe I impulse bought a yummy but expensive non-dairy organic coconut yogurt (clearly, I have self control issues when it comes to health food stores!) but good ol’ plain Greek yogurt will do as well.
- My “milk of choice” in smoothies is usually unsweetened vanilla almond. Make sure to look for a carrageenan-free option as this thickening additive can trigger digestive issues and other health problems in some people.