What we do for the glow!
You might remember the awesome experience I had at Sage Organic Skincare a few weeks back. What I loved most about my visit (besides the actual facial) were all the little tips and tricks that Sage’s owner and esthetician extraordinaire Amber shared on how to naturally keep your skin healthy and beautiful. One of them was how to make your own beauty treatments to literally nourish your skin with stuff you may already have in your pantry.
While there are many do-it-yourself recipes and remedies out here, Amber suggested I’d start by applying a mask made with honey, cinnamon and essential oils that would be perfect for getting clearer skin. And you know me – clearer skin? Sign me up!
Now, if you’re wondering (once again) Who the heck has time for this? let me assure you that this pampering mask is actually quick and easy to make with only three ingredients that are readily available. And if you’re thinking DIY beauty sounds way too hippie-dippy for my taste! I’m telling you, while super affordable, this mask feels absolutely luxurious on your face.
So, what are you waiting for? Embrace your inner flower child (no moon dancing required, unless you want to) – your skin will thank you for it!
- 1-2 tablespoons raw organic honey
- 1 pinch organic cinnamon
- 2-3 drops lavender oil
- In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together.
- With your fingers, apply a thin layer to your clean, dry face and neck and gently massage it in. Don’t use too much as the honey might start dripping down your face. Also, be careful around the eye area.
- Let the mask work its magic for about 20-30 minutes (or more if you have the time). Just don’t wait for the honey to dry completely. It won’t.
- Rinse with warm water and follow with your favorite moisturizer.
- “Raw honey” is honey that has not been pasteurized, heated or processed in any way. Honey is suitable for all skin types and has a laundry list of health benefits: It is a humectant meaning it attracts moisture and locks it in which can help your skin stay supple and glowing. It has natural anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-microbial properties which promotes healing and prevents infection. Therefore honey is an excellent choice for treating acne! Honey is also full of antioxidants which helps prevent premature aging of the skin. Lastly, the gluconic acid in honey is gently exfoliating which brightens the complexion and evens out the skin tone.
- I use clover honey as it is nice and liquid, especially in the warm weather. If the honey you’re using is too hard, feel free to put it in the microwave for a few seconds or in a hot water bath until it has the desired consistency. If it feels too sticky on your face, you can also add a few spritzes of your favorite moisturizing toner.
- Lavender oil has calming effects on the skin. You could also use tea tree oil instead which has clarifying properties. Both are available at health food stores.
- Cinnamon is a total acne buster! It fights pimples by bringing blood and nutrients to the skin’s surface and acting like a drying agent.
- I’ve been using this mask consistently once or twice a week and after prolonged sun exposure for the past month. My skin feels hydrated, smooth and calm every time after I mask it up, especially if I leave the honey on for an extended period of time. I can only highly recommend it!
“Mama, what’s that on your face?”
“It’s a mask made of honey. I use it as a special lotion for my skin.”
“Honey? Like the kind we eat?”
“Yes, the same kind.”
“Mama, can you please wash it off your face? You look scary.”
What’s your favorite DIY beauty recipe?