What do you do when North Scottsdale Organics gives you a giant head of Romaine lettuce?
Well, throw it in a blender and drink it, of course! This smoothie is hydrating and refreshing without weighing you down. It’s perfect for cooling off after spending some time out in the heat! And if you’re wondering why I am featuring yet another smoothie recipe, that’s because…
A) I love them
B) I feel like it is my duty to share with the world when a random pile of fruits and veggies actually turns into a winning smoothie combo
C) I have had zero time to come up with new, more elaborate recipes. You can blame my kids mostly. A smoothie is practically a meal in a glass anyways so stop complaining! Just kidding. Love you!
- 4 large Romaine leaves
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 apple, cored
- 1/2 ripe pear, cored
- 1/2-1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Juice from 1/2-1 lemon
- Pure maple syrup to taste (optional)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup water (optional)
- Small scoop of ice
- Throw all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend like madness.
- Drink and do a little happy dance!
- Romaine lettuce tastes mild and neutral compared to some of the darker greens. If you’re a smoothie newbie and kale scares you, Romaine lettuce might be a good starting point for you.
- This recipe could work with pretty much any kind of fruit so feel free to clean out your fridge and experiment.
- Lemons contain vitamin C, flavonoids, B-complex vitamins, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and fiber. According to many holistic nutrition experts, lemons are also an “alkaline superfood.” Although this is still open to scientific debate and more research is needed to confirm these effects, many experts believe that by eating the right foods including lemons (which are actually acidic outside the body), your pH balance stays alkaline. This helps your blood absorb more oxygen, promotes bone strength and aids your body in maintaining an overall state of good health.