How about we get baking today?
I have to admit, I’m not much of baker. In fact, not at all. Anything I bake has to be pretty straightforward, with little to no skill involved. Luckily, this recipe for nutritious brownie bites just fits the bill!
Quick and easy to make, these little morsels are packed full of heart healthy fats, protein, fiber, antioxidants, essential vitamins and minerals but without any refined sugar. They give you an energy boost with just enough sweetness to satisfy your chocolate craving.
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup mixed seeds (sunflower, milled flax, sesame, chia, pumpkin…)
- 1/2 cup raw nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans…), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shaved coconut flakes
- 1/4-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons raw organic honey
- 3 organic eggs
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Place the quinoa flakes, rice, seeds, nuts, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, cocoa and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix until combined.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut butter over low heat, stir in the honey, then slowly stir in the eggs, whisk until smooth.
- Pour egg mixture over the nuts and seeds and thoroughly blend together until everything is evenly coated.
- Line a medium size baking pan with parchment paper, spread the dough evenly and firmly press down.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Once cooled off, cut into bite size pieces. Eat. Smile.
- Numerous studies have been conducted on the health benefits of nuts. In fact, they are said to be one of the healthiest foods on the planet! They offer a ton of nutrition packed into a tiny bundle. Namely, they are rich in “good” fat (unsaturated fatty acids) which is vital to our body. But remember: Even good fat is fat so moderation is key!
- After 20 minutes, the mixture may still feel pretty soft. However, it will harden once cooled off so don’t overbake or the brownie bites will turn out too dry.
- They can be stored in the fridge for a few days and make for a yummy snack or dessert. My kids love them!