Wanna get back on (clean eating) track after a weekend filled with sweet indulgences?
Try my newest smoothie obsession: It’s chock-full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, plant based protein, and fiber. It tastes refreshingly light but is filling enough to make for an excellent 2nd breaky, afternoon pick-me-up, or post workout snack. Added bonus: It’s slightly sweet so your kids will approve, too!
- 2 cups organic mixed greens (I use kale, spinach, and chard)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I like Silk as it does not contain any carrageenan – a common food stabilizer said to potentially cause stomach problems)
- 1/4 cup organic plain yogurt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (raw, no sugar added is best)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 small scoop of ice
- You know the drill! Throw all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend like madness.
- You can substitute the vanilla almond milk for any “milk” variety you may have on hand (plain almond, organic cow’s milk, coconut water, whatever!)
- Instead of almond butter try unsweetened peanut or cashew butter. If you need to make it nut free, substitute with sunflower seed butter.
- I’m a big fan of seeds as they are very nutrient dense. Hemp, for example, contains all of the essential amino acids which makes it a complete protein. Chia and flaxseed are also great options. Though the nutritional benefits of hemp, chia and flax are slightly different, I use all of them interchangeably. For optimal health it’s best to eat a variety.