Who doesn’t like a quick, light and versatile “pasta” dish?
In fact, this is is a true chameleon of a meal. You can make it gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, or carnivore – however your little heart desires. This simple dinner made of hearty mushrooms, nutty arugula, fresh herbs and tangy lemon will be served in 30 minutes tops. Cook this tonight and thank me later!
- 1 pack organic brown rice Pad Thai noodles
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups wild arugula
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2-1 cup crumbled feta (optional)
- Olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Grated pecorino (optional)
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the package. Drain and toss with a little bit of olive oil to keep them from sticking together. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the avocado oil over medium heat and cook the onions until translucent and soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Stir and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the noodles, arugula, basil, and feta to the pan. Mix everything carefully.
- Add the lemon juice and drizzle some olive oil over the noodle mixture, stir until everything is evenly coated. Top with pecorino and garnish with basil leaves. Serve hot.
- In regards to the mixed mushrooms think button, portobello, crimini, shiitaki, oyster…go crazy!
- Have you tried Pad Thai noodles? They don’t look like much but they soak up a ton of flavor which makes them absolutely delicious. If you are OK with gluten, you could substitute with organic whole wheat spaghetti or angel hair pasta. To make this vegan, omit the cheese.
- For those who are not a fan of Meatless Monday, Mr. Healthy Haus suggests grilling some spicy shrimp on the BBQ for some flavor balancing.
- You can also grill a chicken breast as a side dish or cut into small pieces to mix in with the pasta.