My clean eating interpretation of a Southwestern classic
A Healthy Haus Original, this recipe was initially developed by Mr. Healthy Haus years ago and then continually updated and improved upon. We eat this at least twice a month – it’s that good and that easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3-4 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup beer (dark works best)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Juice from 1 lime or 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas
- Organic Mexican style shredded cheese (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat and add the onions and bell pepper. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms. Stir and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the green onions, spices, beer and lime or lemon juice. Mix everything thoroughly and continue to cook until most of the liquid is evaporated and the vegetables have their preferred softness. Adjust spices if necessary.
- In a separate pan, heat the remainder of the avocado oil over medium heat and add the tortilla. Cook until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Sprinkle some cheese on top of the tortilla until melted.
- Remove the tortilla from the pan and top with the vegetable mixture. Serve hot.
- As with all Healthy Haus recipes, feel free to experiment. Use what you have and make it your own.
- To make this dish even heartier add 1 cup of black beans to step 3. Dark beer and black beans = winning combo in my book!
- Cumin gives this dish a certain smokiness. Start slow and increase the amount to your liking.
- Turn up the heat by adding a little cayenne pepper.
- I favor Food for Life sprouted corn tortillas over other brands. They are the cleanest I have found made of only four ingredients – organic sprouted corn, filtered water, sea salt, and lime.
- Top the fajitas with avocado slices, salsa, hot sauce, a dollop of organic sour cream or all of the above.