Have you given up chocolate for lent?
Or maybe your new year’s resolution of eating less sugar is already a distant memory. In any event, I can help you get back and stay on track while satisfying your sweet tooth with this 5-minute chocolate mousse. I have seen several versions of this dessert but I made it even simpler by using only three ingredients you may already have in your pantry.
This is a clean eating rendition of the popular decadent treat which, unlike its traditional counterpart, is not loaded with refined sugar, cream and butter. It is a health food in disguise featuring heart healthy fats as well as antioxidants. It is vegan, dairy free, gluten free but taste free? No ma’am!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2-3 tablespoons of organic maple syrup or raw honey
- 3-4 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cut and pit the avocados and put the meat into a blender or food processor.
- Add the maple syrup or honey, and the cocoa powder.
- Blend like madness.
- Voilà…mousse au chocolat!
- The avocados give this dish its creaminess. However, the cocoa powder can make the mixture a little dry. Adding 1-2 tablespoons of almond milk or organic cow’s milk (if you can tolerate dairy) can help.
- Make this dessert a real superfood when adding your favorite healthy toppings such as chia seeds and blueberries, raw almond or pecan pieces, dark chocolate chips (after lent, of course!) or unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes for even better consistency.